Every time I switch up my hair color (which is a lot, in my case) I like to reevaluate the makeup that I pair with said new hair color. It is a great excuse to clean out my collection and update expired products etc. If you don't change you hair color as often as I do- then the beginning of each new season is a great time to do this as well.
During my last makeup update- I realized that I had made some pretty bad makeup mistakes in the past... which made me laugh, but also made me think that there are probably lots of women who make these mistakes too. Today's post will hopefully help you avoid those mistakes and leave you feeling beautifully confident!
5 [EMBARRASSING] MAKEUP MISTAKES YOU DON'T
KNOW YOU ARE MAKING
1- YOU DON'T CHECK YOUR REFLECTION IN NATURAL OUTDOOR LIGHT PRIOR TO LEAVING THE HOUSE
- This exercise alone will make the world of difference for so many women. Indoor lighting speaks LIES to all of us! Taking the time to look in the mirror while standing in front of a window will reveal uneven or blotchy makeup, the wrong color of foundation, too much blush or bronzer... and the list goes on. Don't skip this important step- And all of the below mistakes can be caught, by following this step alone.
2- YOU DON'T REMOVE EXCESS MAKEUP FROM YOUR HAIRLINE AND BROWS
- A huge pet peeve of mine, and a mistake that I made for years before I realized! The fine hairs located in the hair line and just above the eyebrows or just in front of your ears (often referred to as peach fuzz or baby hair) are like magnets for foundation and powder. In the right lighting those hairs are now 'skin-colored', which is a dead giveaway that you are sporting [too much] makeup. Simply take a dry tissue and sweep it along the baby hair after you've finish your makeup and remove any excess that is sitting on the hairs.
3- YOU DON'T REMOVE EXCESS MAKEUP FROM YOUR INNER EYE AND LOWER LASH LINE
- Along the same lines as above, using a cotton swab to remove excess makeup from your tear duct the inner rim of your eyes in a crucial step to making your look appear natural. The skin around your eyes is meant to be colored differently than the rest of your face, and when it is all the same tone, you are on a bullet train to 'over-done' land. Blend and transition... it's the name of the game! Make it easy with the one and only Beauty Blender.
4- YOU DON'T BLEND YOUR MAKEUP AROUND THE SIDES OF YOUR NECK
- Holy crap- this again is another mistake that I used to make, and I see a lot while out in public. One time I saw a pic of me from the side, and I had a very clear 'line' that showed where I stopped blending my makeup on my neck. My chest and front of my neck looked great, but I forgot to blend and transition my bronzer around the sides of my neck. whoops! This is especially important when you are wearing your hair up and your neck is exposed.
5- YOU DON'T SET WITH TRANSLUCENT POWDER TO AVOID MAKEUP TRANSFER TO YOUR COLLARS OR NECKLINES
- There is nothing less sexy than having makeup all over your collar. It happens to the best of us, but can be avoided if you either skip neck and chest makeup on collar-wearing days, or at the very least; set your makeup with a translucent powder to add a buffer and protect you clothing. I love this splurge or this save option. And this super save option too! Also placing a hand towel over your face, then sliding your top on over that, is a great way to avoid transfer.
I hope these tips help you to look and feel more gorgeous! Any other mistakes that you would add to this list? Let me know in the comments below- and come say hi over on instagram.